Wednesday 20 October 2010

Emergency By Neil Strauss

An extract from the book called “Emergency” by one of my favorite authors Neil Strauss…
… “But as the world of survivalism opened up, I began to realize that I’d been rendered completely helpless by convenience.  Maybe the instructors at tracker school had a point.  Life was more exciting now that I was learning to handle just about anything that came my way without having to depend on anyone else.  Two decades after puberty, I was finally becoming a man.
As my obsession with figuring out how to do everything myself intensified, I drove to a self-sufficient community called the Commonweal Garden outside San Francisco that was part of what’s called he permaculture movement.  I wanted to learn how to design a completely sustainable life from scratch.  On the roof of one of the houses there, for example, there was a rainwater catchment, which fed water into a shower below.  The run off from the shower filled a pond, which supported ducks.  The ducks ate bugs off strawberries in the garden, which were served for breakfast.  The left over breakfast scraps were dropped into a bin of worms, which were used o feed fish that maintained the balance in the pond and the worm’s waste was used to fertilize the strawberries.
It was the perfect closed, interdependent system, a microcosm of Planet Earth.
Page 312.

Maxine xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment